HTC Hero Android Smart Phone – 支援討論區

Work with O2 UK? [HTC Hero Android Smart Phone - 184566]

• shaunydub
  • 投稿: 2
  • 註冊日期: 26 七月 2009

Hi,

Will this work ok with O2 UK?

I have not seen any Android based phones on O2 yet!!

Thanks

• Step666
  • 投稿: 2835
  • 註冊日期: 21 九月 2006
The handset is unlocked, it will work on any UK network fine (except possibly Three).

Just because O2 haven't carried an Android handset before, that doesn't make them in any way incompatible - that would be like saying that the iPhone can't work on Orange or T-Mobile because they've never carried an OS-X handset, but that's not the case either.

-Step666
  • shaunydub
  • 投稿: 2
  • 註冊日期: 26 七月 2009

cool....

Just checking.
Didn't want to make the plunge and find I had problems!

I saw on some websites about some foreign networks having compatibility issues but i couldn't figure out why!!

Thanks

• Step666
Foreign networks run on different frequencies from those in the UK and Europe, which might be why there some issues.
But any unlocked handset destined for the UK or EU markets shopuld be fine on any UK network - the only possible exception being, as I said before, Three because of their tendency to require locked and branded handsets.

-Step666
  • dsalgado
  • 投稿: 14
  • 註冊日期: 13 六月 2003

Just got my HTC Hero, and although it works fine for making calls and sending texts on O2, I'm having trouble connecting to the internet. I'm using a prepay SIM which has unlimited mobile data as part of the deal. I can use the SIM to access the internet just fine from my old Nokia 6280, but when I put it in my HTC Hero I can't access the web.

I believe it's a question of entering the correct APN details, but all the combinations I've tried so far have failed.

Any ideas?

• PeteGraham
  • 投稿: 20786
  • 註冊日期: 3 三月 2004

Have you tried the settings from filesaveas.com? 

Pete (I need JD) Graham ************** Damn you! Use forum search!!.

• Step666
Did O2 not automatically send out the settings when you first put the SIM into the handset?

Have you tried the O2 website?
Or texting 'Active' to 2020?

-Step666
  • dsalgado

Thanks for the tips. I think I first activated the SIM in a Nokia 6280, and the settings they sent worked fine for that but didn't when I put the same SIM in the Hero.

After some digging around on the links you suggested, and at 3g.co.uk, I've found some settings that seem to work. 

APN: payandgo.o2.co.uk

Username: payandgo

Password: password

Everything else stays as O2 sent it, i.e. MCC: 234, MNC: 10, APN type: default

That seems to work for me.

Thanks for your suggestions.

David

• jmmL
  • 投稿: 1
  • 註冊日期: 1 十月 2009

dsalgado, are you on the text & web plan from O2?

I'm interested in buying the Hero and pairing it with the text & web (top up £15 and get "unlimited" web) I just don't know how much is "unlimited" and whether you can use HSDPA on O2. Any help would be great! If you know a cheaper way of getting unlimited web with O2 (like a special bolton or something) that would be great too!

• dsalgado

Sorry, jmmL. I didn't see your message for a while.

Yes, I'm using O2 Prepay with the text & web plan. I'm not sure what their AUP is on the amount of data I can use each month. Knowing O2, I'd be surprised if the monthly cap (whatever it is) is even automated. So, I'm just hoping I won't have to worry about it! I'm fairly sure it's more reasonable than Orange's crappy 500MB/month, which is what they call "unlimited".

I'm pretty sure the phone is using HSDPA when it can. I've seen the connectivity indicator, which shows at the top of the screen whenever you're sending or receiving data, showing an "H", "E" or "G" on different occasions. I'm assuming that's telling me whether I've got an HSDPA, EDGE or GSM connection, although I could be completely wrong.

AFAIK, topping up £15/month on their prepay text & web plan is the cheapest way to get unlimited data with O2. Certainly, it's the cheapest deal I could find.

Best of luck

David

• PeteGraham
  • 投稿: 20786
  • 註冊日期: 3 三月 2004

You're pretty much spot on although the G is GPRS rather than GSM.  Depends on whether the masts/base stations have been updated to provide high speed connectivity as to what speed you will connect at.

Congrats on getting your data working by the way :)

Pete (I need JD) Graham ************** Damn you! Use forum search!!.

• Step666
Before we go Orange-bashing, remember their 500MB bundle is thrown in free with a number of tariffs, as opposed to O2 were you have to pay for it or sacrifice one of your other bolt-ons.
Also, Orange have recently introduced the ability to upgrade your 500MB to a 5GB/month package for a mere £5/month - less than the £7.50 that an O2 bolt-on runs to.

That aside, the O2 Text'n'Web plan is very good value, so long as you sign up before the end of the month.
Even if you only top up £10/month to get the unlimited texts, that's the best you can get on any PAYG tariff on the market.

As for what O2 F.U.P is, no-one's entirely sure any more.
It used to be 200MB/month, not sure if it's changed or not.

-Step666
;