Nokia 8800 – 支援討論區

Nokia 8800 Firmware v3.94 - Important Information [Nokia 8800 - 121008]

• Rehmondo
  • 投稿: 63
  • 註冊日期: 21 四月 2004
  • 地點: Scotland
Do not upgrade you firmware to v3.94, as a previous fixed bug is back in this firmware. The bug is the power saving time bar that appears after the screen saver, this really does save power however the bar should move from top to middle to bottom of the screen every few seconds, this is to prevent the bar from burning out on the screen. In v3.94 the bar does not move, as a result it burns out the image on the screen, which is visible on darker backgrounds/images etc. If you do not understand the implications of this, basically it’s damaging the LCD screen!!! Nokia have announced that once a new firmware is issued any damaged screens through this burnout issue will be replaced under warranty. I simply went to get a firmware upgrade on my phone as my Bluetooth connection kept timing out with my PC, this firmware fixed that issue however in the process it damaged my screen!
  • selene
  • 投稿: 7043
  • 註冊日期: 26 四月 2004
Just out of curiosity, what version firmware were you on prior to the upgrade? Selene -- Forum Search
  • yumcha
  • 投稿: 29
  • 註冊日期: 11 三月 2006
i think all fw versions do that ive never come across an 8800 that has a moving time bar
  • Rehmondo
Sorry for late reply, I had v3.79, and the bar did move, as I had it upgraded from v3.64 I think, to v3.79 and they made two changes, 1 was to get rid of the god awful old analogue clock screensaver with NOKIA stamped in the middle of it, and second issue that I know of was the time bar as after the upgrade I read this issue on the forum, and checked my phone for it, and v3.79 had fixed that issue. v.3.94 also fixed the Email option issue in the Go To menu that people have experienced with previous versions. Anyone with v3.94, I would suggest setting the screen font to white and use a screensaver as a background (Twirl.gif is quite good), I’ve done this to my Nokia 8800 black and so far no burning issues, I would prefer the time bar back, but I guess I’ll have to wait on Nokia bringing out a new release of firmware.
  • selene
I don't recall seeing a v3.79 firmware. My husband had v3.78 on his phone and the clock definitely didn't move Selene -- Forum Search
  • Rehmondo
It must have been v3.78 I had then if v3.79 hasn't been issued, when I got my Silver 8800 in Jun 05 it was issued with v3.64 if I recall, and I had it upgraded to v3.78, that's when I started to read this forum and one of the issues was the time bar, at that time I checked and it was moving on my phone, it definitely didn't move on v3.64 as I went from a Nokia 6230, and noticed it straight away however at the time I didn't think it was an issue. But as I mentioned in the previous post, setting the main font to white, and having a moving gif as a wallpaper will greatly reduce any burns, it is highly visible on my existing silver 8800, the guys at my local Nokia service point have assured me that they will replace the screen when the new firmware is issued.
  • Rehmondo
Just to give an update, my local Service point got in touch with Nokia and reported the issue, as a result they got confirmation that it is an issue and will be resolved in the next firmware that is released, also any damaged screens can be replaced under warranty. Well I got the screen replaced and the firmware upgraded to v4.10, only to come home and find that the issue still exits in v4.10. As a software developer I know that verifying any defects raised is key before issuing a new build of any software - someone forgot to tell this to Nokia. Let's see what happens next, they currently have my Black 8800, I told them to hold it until the issue is finally resolved, people may be reading this post and thinking, what’s all the fuss about? Well having shelled out a lot of money for something that will hold its re-sell value for a while, only to find that the screens are damaged by dodgy software is a bit of a disappointment.
  • selene
Rehmondo, thanks for the update :-) Selene -- Forum Search - you know you want to...
  • Danio
  • 投稿: 6
  • 註冊日期: 2 十月 2005
  • 地點: Australia
I have also noticed a slight burn in my lcd due to time bar problem. I have switched power save off which results in just a blank black screen appearing in standby mode. Would'nt this be a safer option then having the time bar that does'nt move? Whats the actual difference in power saving between the two? Has anyone upgraded their firmware yet which solves this problem?
  • selene
A LOT. I turned off power saving mode and found I had to charge my phone EVERY DAY. Prior to that, I was charging it once every 3 days and that's with making, receiving calls and texts Selene -- Forum Search - you know you want to...
  • Danio
  • 投稿: 6
  • 註冊日期: 2 十月 2005
  • 地點: Australia
Hmmm well I don't want this LCD burn to get worse than it already is. What do you suggest I do...being a Nokia 8800 user yourself...you probably also have this problem?
  • selene
Danio, You could try Rehmondo's suggestion above... I've disabled powersave mode and am resigned to charging my phone every night, although to be honest, it's not that much of a hardship - I simply stick it on the charger before I go to bed every night.. Selene -- Forum Search - you know you want to...
;